Friday, July 24, 2009

"Bad Democracy Breeds Corruption"

This week has been all over the place.

Monday I attended an event that included three governors from Venezuela and the Mayor of Caracas. It was very interesting, as they are "opposition leaders," according to Chavez. Most people don't know what is going on in Venezuela - I didn't. If you're interested in learning more, read this Washington Post article. It's well-written and quite informative. Mayor Ledezma (on the left) actually led a hunger-strike outside of the Venezuela OAS office until the OAS agreed to meet with him and other "opposition leaders." They were in DC to meet with the OAS on Tuesday, which is why I was able to go to an event to see them on Monday.

Tuesday was supposed to be a hearing on Iran in the Western Hemisphere, but it was canceled (unfortunately). Wednesday made up for it because my dad visited DC! He was in the city working on getting a patent approved, so we were able to get dinner, along with our dinner guest, Katharine, at a great restaurant called 1331; and then we saw Harry Potter.

Today I was at the hearing mentioned in this article. It was very interesting. I really don't think I can comment on what I found interesting, because it would require me explaining what I believe is sensitive information. Yeah, it's not classified in any way, but it would not be good for me to let the info out. But it was definitely weird to come home and see this article. Makes me recognize that the media likes to focus on the quotes and not the context - it's all about causing a stir to get the attention, not so much the actual information. It's frustrating.

Tomorrow's forecast:
  • - Holocaust Museum
  • - All the DC monuments/memorials

No comments:

Post a Comment