Sunday, July 5, 2009

"That's so American"

First off, I have changed the settings on my blog so people can comment without having an account. I thought the settings were already like that, but apparently not. So comment away!

Secondly, 4th of July in DC - amazing. The morning started out slow but around 4 pm my roommates and I headed over to our friend's house (well, the house that she's house-sitting in). The place became packed within an hour so around 5:30 I headed out to meet up with Katharine and her roomies on the National Mall. Her roommates had been there since 3 pm so they had scored a nice spot right in between the capitol building and the Washington Monument. Katharine and I met up with them around 6:30 and over the next 2.5 hours, the place filled up to be incredibly crowded (see picture to the right).

Katharine and I had a nice time catching up, chatting about residence life, an organization we're both a part of, and other stuff as well. I really like her roommates. They're really nice. We also chatted a lot about our friend T, who has jetted off to Africa and who we both miss a lot.

Around 9 or 9:30 the fireworks began. I managed to get some pretty awesome shots (like the one to the left). It was a really great show, and the crowd's reaction was amazing (for example, heart fireworks issued a crowd-wide "awwww"). The show was shorter than I expected, 15 minutes or so, and the music didn't make it's way to us like we expected. So for next time, because there will be another time that I will be in DC for the 4th, I will know to bring a radio to play the music if we aren't at the capitol building.

After the fireworks, I met back up with my roommates and enjoyed the rest of the night with them.

I cannot believe that I only have 4 weeks left. I love DC so much and I love my internship. It makes me so excited for the possibility of graduate school and for all my career possibilities. However, I am also getting equally as excited for my senior year. My first grad class... as an undergrad, all my other classes, my student orgs and my job, and spending my last year as an undergraduate with all my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment