Monday, July 20, 2009

Mr. Smith and his dog, Jane

So to counteract my continuing stressful feelings of... well, yesterday's post, I shall finally tell the story of Mr. Smith and his dog, Jane. I know you all have been anticipating this post.

Let me give some background and describe my two characters. To get to and from my internship, I take the metro. My metro station is a good 12 minute walk from my apartment resulting in a nice, peaceful walk to and from my apartment.

If you walk back at a certain time of the late-afternoon or early-evening, you walk by a small redbrick apartment with an iron-cast gate enclosing a brick patio. There's a small white and blue plastic folding chair that sits outside and, in that chair, Mr. Smith sits to greet those who walk by.

Beside him lays Jane, a rotund black and white dog, which reminds me of Watney, a dog who was owned by our family friends. Mr. Smith is a thin elderly man who always wears a baseball cap and shorts that look too big on his frail legs. They make a brilliant pair and compliment each other well- big and small.

And I have found, when I get home earlier, that he always walks around the block with his dog before he sits down outside his house. Sometimes Mr. Smith is chatting with someone but he's always with his dog.

What I love about Mr. Smith is that he is so nice. Even when he is chatting with someone, he always makes a point to stop and say "hello". We've had nice chats about the day and I've even stopped to pet Jane and talk about her. I don't realize quite how much I can miss my silly dogs at home until I see one every day after work.

So that's Mr. Smith and his dog, Jane. I will remember a lot about DC and I know I will always remember them. Even with how small a role they played in my time here, they have stuck in my mind as an example of why I love my neighborhood and the DC locales.

--Hopefully this post did not let anyone down, as I have been touting this post topic for a few days.--

No comments:

Post a Comment